CodeIgniter, Laravel, Notepad++, and Sublime Text 2

I had started to learn about CodeIgniter and built a simple dynamic website locally and then was looking for more tutorials to progress my learning when I came across a blog by Shawn McCool saying CodeIgniter is dead and this caught my attention so I read it in full. Well beyond CodeIgniter being based on old PHP version 4 and having a lack of developers pushing it forward I was curious, what is a better alternative? It didn't take long to find out as he was asked already by a commenter and his reply was Laravel that he uses and some others. With my limited knowledge in these matters, I am going to follow the recommendations of experienced developers, of course! So I downloaded the files off GitHub and then looked for tutorials to get started learning how Laravel works. Coincidentally, the first one I stumbled upon was authored by Shawn McCool, and he does a great job breaking it down into layman's terms. Laravel is really cool and easier syntax to learn and write than CodeIgniter. How ever, I was using Notepad++ and figured there may be a plugin that would help with Autofill so I wouldn't have to type every single character but I found out that it currently does not exist but Sublime Text 2 was highly recommended (as was Jetbrain's PHP Storm IDE but that costs $100 compared to $70 for Sublime Text 2). I gave it a try and the autofill works great! Making the writing process fast and more accurate as it closes brackets and parenthesis for me, which I sometimes forget to do.
I've found that writing web apps is not so bad after all, despite my initial long term held belief that coding would be impossible to ever understand. Thanks to all the people that share what they know on forums, StackFlow.com especially!

Popular posts from this blog

Fix for MagicDisc driver mcdbus.inf not signed

Fix Woozone Import Synchronization test fails at Step 1